18 December 2008

evidence

i mentioned previously that my favourite shows of late include csi and house. probably most of the appeal of these shows to me is watching the characters figure out a problem based on evidence collected. (well, that ... and i have a secret really-mean-doctor-crush on hugh laurie. sshh -- don't tell.)

yesterday something happened after work. see if you can figure it out based on this evidence ...

my elbow:

my pants:

and here's my leg:

any guesses about what happened?

... ...

the weather in socal has been kinda crazy lately, like in many other places this year (hello -- 10 inches of snow in seattle in a single day?). it was actually 39° here yesterday morning. but because i have been living in utah for a number of years recently, of course i didn't grab my coat. i mean, c'mon: this is california. no one from utah needs a coat here.

yeah, i decided that *before* freezing cold rain started falling. great. oh, well.

after work, i made my way to my car with my computer bag on one shoulder and an armload of papers in the other arm. i tried to appear non-chalant and completely comfortable in the sheeting, half-frozen rain. after crossing the unusually busy street to get to the parking lot, i said hello to the only other person out in this weather, as i stepped off the curb onto the asphalt.

just then my ankle wobbled a little, but i caught myself. phew!

with a nervous smile in the general direction of my cold compatriot, i snickered a little to myself as i imagined the carnage and destruction that would have ensued were i not so coordinated. and cool. yeah, i'm cool.

anyway, unfortunately, at that precise moment, a gust of biting cold wind came howling from the north.

my overly arrogant attitude and underly stable stance came into direct conflict in my war against the wind. it was a losing battle. time slowed and i watched helplessly as the ground got closer and closer. soon i was laying on my left side in a polluted parking lot puddle.

i thought i was cold before. it was much colder sitting in water. (as a side note: my grandmother has a sign hanging above her toilet that reads: "if we were meant to sit in cold water, we would have been born with webbed feet." heh.) well, since i don't have webbed feet, i didn't sit there long. standing up was a bit tricky with my inconvenient cargo, but i did it.

as i made the rest of the way to the car, i couldn't contain my laughter. oh, the irony: the very fate that i had but moments earlier presumed to have narrowly avoided became a very cold reality. literally.

how come no one i know is around when i do stupid stuff like this? it's much more fun to laugh with someone else.

anyway ... that's the story. is that pretty much what you thought, having looked at the evidence?

6 comments:

matti kaye said...

actually, i thought you got into a fight with a big mean man named stanley but that you took him down deftly with only the injuries you showed us.

might have been interesting to see that one.

inge said...

poor little christianna.

Jared said...

I have evidence that it has been over a month since a certain someone has provided us with updates. Life somehow just isn't as fun without them.

christianna said...

how much evidence ... ?

Jared said...

some.....

Alanna said...

Oh, I enjoyed that post. So sorry! btw, I'm generally grateful when people aren't around to see me when I do stupid stuff...though it is hard to retell those stories...but you do a very good job...what a good writer you are!