14 December 2008

the results are in (again)

last year, i set a goal to limit the amount of red meat i was eating in order to decrease my cholesterol. it's been difficult and i have whined a lot, as you may recall, and i have had to really expand my ... umm ... horizons ... ? (something. can't think right now.)

anyway. i got my lab results back today. here are the highlights:



PY (2007)

CY (2008)

triglycerides

97 mg/dL

82 mg/dL

cholesterol, total

215 mg/dL

211 mg/dL

(should be less than 200)
- hdl cholesterol

60 mg/dL

58 mg/dL

- ldl cholesterol

136 mg/dL

137 mg/dL

(should be less than 130)
glucose

80 mg/dL

83 mg/dL

sodium

138 mmol/L

138 mmol/L

potassium

4.0 mmol/L

4.3 mmol/L

white blood cell count

5.9 thousand/uL

5.7 thousand/uL

red blood cell count

4.91 million/uL

4.71 million/uL

hemoglobin

13.0 g/dL

13.4 g/dL

hematocrit

38.4 %

39.0 %

platelet count

283 thousand/uL

308 thousand/uL



okay. so ... my cholesterol is still a high. grr. it went down 4 points. woohoo. but ... honestly, i kinda expected more. i mean, i cut my red meat consumption by roughly 73%. so ... yeah, i kinda expected more. [sigh.]

so now what? as i see it, there are a few options:

  1. continue the red-meat-on-weekends-only regime.

  2. amend the rules such that i can have red meat on any 2 days of the week. i mean, c'mon, it went down 4 points: that deserves some kind of reward.

  3. eat oatmeal everyday (or on some regular schedule) to fight this with a little proactivity instead of just restraint.

  4. give up entirely and eat red meat whenever i darnwell please since it's not making any difference anyway.

anyone care to vote? c'mon, we all did it a month ago ... let's exercise our right to vote again!!

8 comments:

Angie Berrio said...

How about taking Cheerios up on their claims?

Brad and Darci said...

I say just eat it whenever you want. Really I am all about being healthy but it is probably not your diet that is causing it if changing your diet didn't really do much. So enjoy life honey- maybe eating more chocolate would help:)

Jared said...

Congratulations on the 4 points. Maybe specific exercises are good for that kind of stuff.

christianna said...

i think eating more chocolate would precisely help!

amy said...

i'm just going to say: Christianna, be happy!

David Thomas said...

Try playing Uno with really small cards. The smaller the cards, the lower your cholesterol will go. Come to think of it, I have the perfect deck for you to use.

Oh, and I believe studies show there is an inverse relationship to the amount of chocolate you consume and your cholesterol level. Eat up, I say.

Elise said...

I vote the oatmeal option because if it were me, there's no way I could cut out red meat! Way to be so dedicated though...it still decreased right? Hey, I would LOVE for you to come smell my baby's head whenever you want! Give me a call when you get into town!

matti kaye said...

eat meat. as much as you want, whenever you want.

and then run with scissors. weeeee.