21 June 2007

an expensive hobby

so yesterday i got to my harp lesson about 15 minutes late -- which is, sadly, kinda the norm -- said my hellos, sat down at the harp and realized ... it was a different harp! well, my teacher has been renting this one out to one of her other students and that student just recently purchased her own harp ... so ... she returned this one to my teacher. it is *beautiful* (pictured at right).

okay. i have been renting a harp that has so far suited my needs just fine (pictured at left, only mine is natural wood, not ebony). it isn't by any means the harp that i want to play forever -- it's a small lever harp -- but it has good string tension (very similar to a pedal harp) and okay sound. i thought.

my harp sounds *nowhere near* as good as my teacher's!

my teacher offered to let me rent this one from her. i would *love* to!! the only problem is ... her harp costs more than twice as much to rent -- actually it's 150% more -- yes, i'm an accountant. and i really need to be saving money because i want to be able to purchase a condo/house/home-of-some-sort sometime soon ...

i was telling my (wise but sometimes annoyingly realistic) sister about it and she quoted for me, "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without". then i *really* felt guilty for wanting a new harp ...

especially because what i love about the new harp will not make a lick of difference in my learning and playing. not at this point in the game. i need a harp that i can practice on. the one i have will suffice.

but this one is so preeeettttyyyy! well, yes. but who is gonna see it? i don't play well enough to start booking gigs ... ha! ... so ... i can stick with my little one for now, right?

i *can* dream though ... and so i recently "went shopping" for harps online again. these are some of my favourites, in addition to the one above:

okay, so here's the kicker: the cheapest of these harps is $20k. a good one will cost anywhere from $15k to $35k or more. and especially more if you want one with gold gilding. yikes! so yeah -- think i'm gonna have to wait for "someday" to get mine ... unfortunately ...

cute guy told me i should play the guitar instead. it's cheaper. :P

of course, he also suggested i make a splash in the music world with the electric harp ... check it out! this one is "metallic green". can't you just picture me jamming out on it? playing mary had a little lamb or ode to joy to a sold-out crowd?

2 comments:

Jess said...

I didn't know you were taking harp lessons. That is sooo awesome! I should talk to your sister more often for a little reality check on my spending habits. But I've been better these past few weeks . . . although it may have been replaced with eating out. I hate that!

christianna said...

yes ... the eating-out-bug has attacked me as well. :S

recently i have been doing better in that arena, too, though. it suddenly occurred to me last week that i hadn't been grocery shopping since mid-april sometime ... i think it helps to go grocery shopping. :P