25 January 2008

a favorite, with a twist

the other night, i was whining about my no-beef resolution again and cute guy just wasn't letting me get away with any of it. he had lots of ideas and suggestions ... and i have to say that i have fallen completely in love with one of them: grilled cheese and tomato sandwich.

oh my goodness. i love grilled cheese sandwiches -- but this is so much better.

see? it starts out as a regular grilled cheese sandwich -- i make mine with dark rye bread and shredded colby jack. mmm. and i always butter the pan, not the bread; that way i don't get butter on my fingers or on the counter.

so, butter the pan, put your first slice of bread in and load on some shredded cheese. but before you put the second piece of bread on, you put a couple slices of fresh, ripe tomato! yeah, huh! it's just so dang good!

when it's ready, flip it over (yes, buttering the pan for the other side).

wow. makes me salivate just thinking about it ... maybe i'll go make me another one ... yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

9 comments:

matti kaye said...

i live you! you're just awesome.

Eden said...

Mmmm... come over to my house and make me one. Makes me think of that sandwich on thepioneerwomancooks.com from the very first day I ever read her website. And btw, you're supposed to butter the insides of the bread, then place it inside-out on the pan so you don't get butter everywhere else. Though Alton Brown would just have you use spray.

christianna said...

matti, you live me?? ??

christianna said...

i actually used to do it that way: butter the insides of the bread. but either my bread is too soft or my butter is too hard ... and i rip huge holes in the bread. so ... i butter the pan and then assemble the sandwich dans le plat. heh. works better for me.

matti kaye said...

i meant that i love you. sorry.

but also, if you butter just one slice of bread it works the same as buttering the pan. like, butter one slice, put it in the pan. put on the cheese. other slice of bread and then butter the top.

christianna said...

but your suggestion still leaves me with huge holes in my bread because of the hard butter and the soft bread. i like the way i do it. you should try it. you may love me more.

i also don't use a spatula ... i turn the sandwich with my fingers. which is no feat for pansies, let me tell you. (i do it so i have fewer dishes to wash.)

matti kaye said...

amy just flips hers using the pan. which is also very hard and can spray cheese everywhere if you cook it on too high heat.

missy. said...

you are so funny. did you know i haven't eaten red meat since i was 11? for real.

christianna said...

ha! what a sad, sad life you must lead, missy ... :P

just kiddin'.
;)