16 August 2009

snail mail

i haven't opened mail in over a month. i haven't had time, people! lately i get home from work, grab my mail off the table, walk it to my room, and *lovingly* place it in the "mail pile" on the floor in front of my dresser before crashing on my bed.

(incidentally, the mail pile sits right in front of the clean-and-folded-but-not-put-away-because-i-still-haven't-had-time-to-unpack-from-my-utah-idaho-texas-and-vegas-trips clothes pile. i am considering implementing a new no-flying-until-you-unpack-from-your-last-trip rule. but then i might never get out of this place.)

so today after church and church, i came home on a mission. my mission: to open and deal with everything in the mail pile. the clean-and-folded-but-... clothes pile would have to wait for another day.

but it was definitely time to get through that mail pile. i mean, for all i knew, my long-lost lover had written me the most beautiful, poetic, sugary, sticky love letter pen ever put to paper ... so ... obviously ... i couldn't keep him waiting any longer.

it took me about an hour, but i made it through the whole stack. the mail pile brought adventures and intrigue. behold:

  • 3 surveys. people want my opinion! they do!

  • monitoring the future survey, from the university of michigan. (been filling that one out annually since high school.)

  • equal employment opportunity survey, from cal state northridge. (to be a part-time instructor.)

  • customer service survey, from my bank. (i bank online; why can't the surveys be online, too. i'd probably get to them faster that way.)

  • an apheresis award from the red cross. so i logged in to my account where i found out that i have donated 35 times since moving to los angeles -- 35 times! just imagine how many lives i have saved!! :P

    and while i was on that roll, i went ahead and called to set up a new appointment for next week.

  • 1 check that i have been awaiting for about a month. hmmm. maybe i shoulda gone through this stack a while ago ...

  • 3 letters from my car dealership, congratulating me on my purchase. i feel pretty special to have received 3 letters. no, none of the letters included a get-out-of-jail-free card on the car payment. drat.

  • an official letter from the state board letting me know that i passed my tests! guess they didn't hear my joy. that's okay -- let's celebrate again!

and ... umm, that was it. with all that and a (large) handful of statements and credit card offers, i had dug it down to the carpet.

and there was nothing else.

no love.

no poetry.

no sugary, sticky.

what's up with that?

who even invented snail mail?

1 comment:

Ryan G said...

oh my gosh! are you kidding? getting the mail is like the highlight of my day!! I never know what mysterious surprises await me!

And what the heck? You can't post ONE measly picture of your new car???!?!!?!