20 June 2008

apologetic

so, after the beautiful day that was monday, my evil manager again came out to the client's office on tuesday morning. again, he tried to be jovial and congenial, which usually just ends up feeling rather fake.

i think he also had it in his head that he needed to make nice with me. and this is how he does it, this is always how he does it: he almost sings my first name repeatedly, about 17 times in a row. -- his apology is a hand-crafted, uncreative song whose only lyrics are my first name. honestly.

so after the first couple "verses", i kinda smiled at him, hoping that my acknowledgement would let him know that he didn't have to continue.

by the time we got to verse 11, i was trying to think of a witty yet not impolite manner to let him know that he could stop. the only thing coming to mind was, "that's my name, don't wear it out", which was frustrating because i can usually be at least *kind of* witty and creative in my responses ... but "don't wear it out" was the only thing in my big old head. (that, and a polar bear in a blue tutu. hmm.) despite that, i wasn't quite sold on the propriety of such a response. (nor the propriety of such an imposing animal in frilly skirt.)

so i kept thinking but my mouth didn't pay any attention to that and before i knew it, "don't wear it out" had slipped out of my lips ... !!

i was surprised myself that i said it, and i quickly tried to cover for any hints of annoyance that might have escaped my lips along with those words. so i smiled a crooked smile and gave a sideways, slightly amused look to both my evil manager and my other co-worker, who herself could hardly contain her laughter at my response. it was my meager attempt to mitigate this behavioural blunder. ai ai ai.

well, my evil manager's song soon ended. he didn't seem offended or otherwise upset. so maybe it was okay ... ?

i'll let y'all know if i get fired.

2 comments:

matti kaye said...

danny thinks you should have said, "apology accepted, but i liked you better when you were mean"

christianna said...

... hmm ...
danny may be right ...
why wasn't he in my head that day?!